- Training & Events
- Buyer's Guide
Smithfield Foods Inc. on November 12 announced 36 new ISO 14001 environmental certifications at the company's facilities in the U.S. and Europe.
The newly certified facilities include 14 U.S. plants, 21 farms and subsidiary Smithfield Prod's facility in Romania. The announcement brings the number of Smithfield Foods ISO 14001-certified locations to 578 worldwide.
"For years Smithfield Foods has been recognized as a leader in the meat industry, and it is gratifying that we continue to be recognized as an industry leader in environmental stewardship," said C. Larry Pope, president and chief executive officer of Smithfield Foods. "ISO certification acknowledges that Smithfield Foods meets a stringent set of internationally respected environmental management standards."
ISO 14001 is the international gold standard for environmental management. The International Organization for Standardization (ISO), based in Geneva, Switzerland, promotes the development and implementation of voluntary international standards for an environmental management system (EMS). A facility receiving ISO certification has implemented an EMS that includes formalized practices to protect the environment, including manure handling, waste treatment systems, water conservation, sanitation and good housekeeping practices.
Smithfield Foods' commitment to ISO certification began in 2001 when the company started voluntarily implementing a comprehensive EMS on all of its Murphy-Brown hog farms. Subsequently, Murphy-Brown, Smithfield Foods' livestock production subsidiary, became the world's first livestock production company to receive ISO certification of its EMS.
In 2005, Smithfield Foods' evolution of its environmental policy continued when the company became the first in its industry to achieve ISO 14001 certification for all of its U.S. hog production and processing facilities, other than new acquisitions.
Dennis Treacy, vice president, environmental and corporate affairs for Smithfield Foods, pointed out the important role ISO certification plays in the company's environmental policy.
"Environmental stewardship is an important part of the Smithfield Foods business model," Treacy said. "We commend our employees for their hard work in helping the Smithfield Foods family of companies achieve this prestigious certification."
The newly certified facilities are:
· John Morrell/Armour Eckrich
o Junction City, Kan.
o Mason City, Iowa
o Omaha, Neb.
o Peru, Ind.
o St. Charles, Ill.
o St. James, Minn.
· John Morrell/Patrick Cudahy
o 814 Americas, Elizabeth, N.J.
· John Morrell
o Premium Pet Health LLC, Denver, Colo.
o Premium Pet Health LLC, Sioux City, Iowa
· Smithfield Packing Company
o Middlesboro, Ky.
o Grayson, Ky.
· Farmland Foods/Cook's Ham
o Lincoln, Neb.
o Martin City, Kan.
· Duplin Marketing
o Rose Hill, N.C.
· Murphy Brown LLC
o Premium Standard Farms – 21 farms
· Smithfield Prod
o Timisoara, Romania
To obtain ISO certification, a company must meet a rigorous and comprehensive set of requirements and criteria developed by more than 2,000 experts worldwide. The certification process is conducted by an accredited third-party auditor and ensures that anyone receiving certification has mechanisms in place to ensure, and move beyond, environmental compliance.
With sales of $12 billion, Smithfield Foods is the leading processor and marketer of fresh pork and packaged meats in the United States, as well as the largest producer of hogs.
U.S. ISO Certified Facilities – The Smithfield Packing Company Inc.
· (2) Smithfield Packing Company-Smithfield, Va. (North & South)
· Smithfield Packing Company-Tar Heel, N.C.
· The Peanut Shop of Williamsburg-Williamsburg, Va.
· Smithfield Packing Company-Clayton, N.C.
· Smithfield Packing Company-Clinton, N.C.
· Smithfield Packing Company-Grayson, Ky.
· Smithfield Packing Company-Kinston, N.C.
· Smithfield Packing Company-Landover, Md.
· Smithfield Packing Company-Portsmouth, Va.
· Smithfield Packing Company-Wilson, N.C.
· Smithfield Packing Company-Middlesboro, Ky.
· Smithfield Transportation Co.-Tar Heel, N.C.
· Smithfield Transportation Co.-Smithfield, Va.
· Smithfield Ham & Products-Smithfield, Va.
U.S. ISO Certified Facilities – John Morrell / Armour Eckrich / Patrick Cudahy
· John Morrell & Co.-Springdale, Ohio
· Curly's Foods-Sioux City, Iowa
· John Morrell & CO.-Sioux Falls, S.D.
· John Morrell, Mohawk-San Jose, Calif.
· Premium Pet Health, LLC-Sioux City, Iowa
· Premium Pet Health, LLC-Denver, Colo.
· Saratoga Specialties-Bolingbrook, Ill.
· Armour-Eckrich-Junction City, Kan.
· Armour-Eckrich-Mason City, Iowa
· Armour-Eckrich-Omaha, Neb.
· Armour-Eckrich-Peru, Ind.
· Armour-Eckrich-St. Charles, Ill.
· Armour-Eckrich-St. James, Minn.
· Patrick Cudahy-Cudahy, Wis.
· Golden Crisp Premium Foods-Sioux Center, Iowa
· 814 Americas-Elizabeth, N.J.
· Carando-Springfield, Mass.
U.S. ISO Certified Facilities – Farmland Foods
· Farmland Foods-Sioux City, Iowa
· Farmland Foods-Carroll, Iowa
· Farmland Foods-Crete, Neb.
· Farmland Foods-Denison, Iowa
· Farmland Foods-Milan, Mo.
· Farmland Foods-Monmouth, Ill.
· Farmland Foods-Salt Lake City, Utah
· Farmland Foods-Wichita, Kan.
· Farmland Foods, Cook's Ham-Lincoln, Neb.
· Farmland Foods, Cook's Ham-Martin City, Kan.
· North Side Foods-Arnold, Pa.
· North Side Foods-Cumming, Ga.
U.S. ISO Certified Facilities – Duplin Marketing
· Duplin Marketing-Rose Hill, N.C.
U.S. ISO Certified Facilities – RMH Foods
· RMH Foods-Morton, Ill.
U.S. ISO Certified Facilities – Stefano Foods Inc.
Stefano Foods, Inc.-Charlotte, N.C.
U.S. ISO Certified Facilities – Murphy-Brown LLC
· 480 U.S. company-owned farms
· Premium Standard Farms – 21 farms
U.S. ISO Certified Facilities – International Operations
· Smithfield PROD-Timisoara, Romania
· Animex-Elk, Poland
o 28 farms